Struggling under the weight of a stimulant addiction can affect all avenues of an individual’s professional and personal life. A deeper understanding of illicit and prescription stimulants is an important part of fighting against this trend. The information below will dive into the topic of the addiction to stimulants more deeply.
What are Stimulants?
Understanding the power of a stimulant addiction requires some basic knowledge about these substances. Stimulants are a class of drugs that have a powerful effect on the central nervous system. The use of stimulants can trigger a variety of psychoactive changes that can become severe. The rush of euphoria that occurs from stimulant use can be a major factor in the development of a dependence on these drugs.
Signs of a Stimulant Addiction
Recognizing the signs of a stimulant addiction is a vital part of seeking proper help.
The following clues of a stimulant addiction are possible:
- Reduction in healthy appetite- Stimulants cause the digestive system to slow down. This can result in appetite loss, significant loss of weight, and problems with proper nutrition. Stomach pain, nausea, vomiting, or constipation can also occur.
- Mood imbalances – People struggling with an addiction to stimulants may seem to switch between different emotions quickly. The smallest things can trigger sadness, anger, aggression, or anxiety. Emotional outbursts can make relationships hard to manage.
- Excessive energy- It isn’t uncommon for those facing an addiction to stimulants to display unusual amounts of energy. For example, some may appear to have nervous energy most of the time. Others may simply speak in a fast and aggressive manner.
- Dependence- Those heading toward a true addiction often display signs of dependence first. This means that they need to keep taking larger amounts of the drug to feel the same effects.
Are There Helpful Treatment Options?
Suffering the painful effects of a stimulant addiction does not have to be all-consuming. With proper treatment and addiction education, your family can experience the peace you deserve. Appropriate treatment options will vary based on your specific problem areas, immediate needs, and future goals. However, the following treatments are in rehab settings:
- Psychotherapy- One-on-one therapy, family counseling, and group counseling sessions often form the basis of a rehab plan. These intensive therapy sessions can allow people to talk about deeper issues in a stress-free environment.
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy– All types of behavioral therapies are designed to determine a person’s underlying belief system. These beliefs contribute to a person’s daily actions in a powerful way. Changing negative beliefs can help put an end to destructive actions.
- Treatment of co-occurring disorders- If a person struggling with addiction also suffers from other problems, they will all need appropriate attention. Emotional disorders like depression and anxiety may require their own form of treatment.
- Family interventions- The entire family is profoundly affected by substance abuse. Therefore, it only makes sense that the whole family may be in need of various forms of rehabilitation. These treatment avenues are important for restoring trust in family relationships.
Serenity Light Recovery
Serenity Light Recovery is an experienced addiction treatment center in the Angleton, Texas area. The compassionate treatment team at Serenity Light focus on offering innovative treatment programs to help you heal from addiction. Family programs and helpful amenities are also provided to create a well-balanced program.
The problems created by an untreated addiction do not have to control your life. You can learn how to triumph over these issues with the help of a rehab center that wants to see you succeed. Call 855.658.6109 now to discover how the professional treatment team at Serenity Light Recovery can help you begin your own healing journey.