Addiction can cause severe problems in a person’s family life. In this situation, it is critical to choose one of the many types of family therapy. The options here are diverse and provide many unique benefits. As a result, it is essential to know how the best family therapy program TX has to offer can help out in overcoming addiction.
Benefits of Family Therapy
Family therapy is designed to help an individual better understand the influence of drugs on their behaviors and the ways that substances affect their overall health and their family. SAMSHA helps define the many types of family therapy and the benefits that they provide, including:
- Increased personal understanding of addiction
- Improved family communication effectiveness
- Enhanced grasp of behavioral triggers
- Boosted insight into the effects of addiction on families
All of these benefits make family therapy an important choice for many individuals with substance abuse. Expanding a treatment beyond individual care and into the realm of comprehensive group therapy programs helps beat the symptoms of addiction, particularly when choosing a method that works the best for an individual.
Types of Family Therapy
The National Institute on Drug Abuse defines many types of family therapy, each of which can be used to manage addiction problems. Fully understanding each of these methods helps individuals know which is right for their needs. Just as importantly, people with addictions can choose a manner that is specific to the intensity of their family problems without coming on too strong. These methods include:
- Brief Strategic Therapy – These sessions focus on unhealthy family interactions and requires individuals to talk about their feelings and interactions with a therapist.
- Family Behavior Therapy – If behavioral issues – such as issues with authority or control – affect a family and trigger addictive behaviors, this treatment can help.
- Functional Family Therapy – Examines the communication methods that affect a family’s interaction and works to make them more positive and supportive.
- Multidimensional Family Therapy – Works on all members of a family who may contribute to an individual’s addiction and gives everyone high-quality help.
- Multisystemic Therapy – This method combines multiple care options to help those with severe behavior issues and to work through more complex problems.
Although each of these types of family therapy uses similar concepts, each is designed for different individuals and specific circumstances. As a result, it is critical to examine these problems as they occur and to pick a therapy option that works for a family and their loved one.
How to Choose a Family Therapy Option
When picking between the types of family therapy available from a rehab center, individuals must take the time to explore the many options available. This step doesn’t mean that a person has to try every family therapy type. Instead, they should talk to rehabilitation specialists in their care center about which choice is the best for their overall care needs.
For example, some individuals may respond very well to multidimensional family therapy because it helps those with more severe issues that occur deep in a family’s history. However, others may not have these same problems and only need functional family therapy to improve overall family communication. Start with the least extensive types and move upwards as required.
Lastly, it is vital to gauge the effects that therapy is likely to have on your family members. While sound therapy can often guide a family to a better personal understanding, people may also run into some agitation, anxiety, depression, and frustration. This situation usually requires that people with addictions take the time to work with a multitude of addiction treatment specialists in many unique care options.
Let Us Help You Recover
If you’re interested in one of these types of family therapy and need help choosing, please call 855.658.6109 to contact us at Serenity Light Recovery right away. We have years of experience working with people in your situation and want to make sure that addiction doesn’t take control of your life. With the help of our addiction treatment center in Houston, you can get back on the road to recovery and a drug-free life in no time. Call now to learn more about our insurance options.