The state of Texas, like the rest of the United States, is dealing with an opioid epidemic that shatters families, steals lives, and costs millions of dollars every year. In response to this crisis, there are over 400 rehab facilities statewide offering opioid addiction treatment.
One of those is Serenity Light Recovery outside Houston. Our goal is to save lives with a high standard of care and ever-evolving, evidence-based treatment methods. If you live in Texas and understand that you or a loved one need help with addiction, call 855.658.6109 or reach out to us by using our online form.
The Opioid Crisis in Texas
Statistics on opioid abuse show that Texas has a significant problem but also indicates signs of improvement over recent years. With approximately 1,500 deaths annually from opioid overdose, Texas is ranked number 12 out of 51 in the US, including the District of Columbia. This epidemic is not to be taken lightly, and the healthcare system of Texas is committed to mitigating the worst effects of opioid addiction and reducing the number of deaths.
Compared to nationwide numbers of newborns diagnosed with neonatal opioid withdrawal syndrome (NOWS)—meaning they are born addicted to opioids and must detox—rates per number of births in Texas are 2.5/1000. Nationwide the number is 7/1000. These statistics show that helping those addicted to opioids seek recovery has a ripple effect that goes beyond the individual.
Prescription drug abuse is a significant part of the opioid epidemic. In Texas, there are 47 opioid prescriptions written for every 100 people (vs. 51 nationwide). That seems like a lot—nearly 50% of the population receiving prescriptions for an addictive painkiller. However, that number is significantly down since the early 2000s. Prescription opioid disposal programs are prioritized in Texas to help mitigate their illegal distribution and use.
Opioid Addiction Treatment
In 2020, the Texas Department of Health and Human Services developed a three-year action plan whose intent is to improve health, safety, and wellbeing in Texas by focusing on three public health areas: surveillance (data collection and dissemination), education (of medical professionals and the general population), and resource development.
One of the most valuable resources is a quality rehabilitation facility. Addiction treatment is most effective when it is evidence-based and offers both inpatient and outpatient options, medically supervised detox, and quality aftercare programs.
Evidence-based treatment modalities for opioid addiction include the following:
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT) is based on reframing risky behavioral patterns by transforming learning processes and habitual thinking.
- 12-step programs facilitate abstinence through acceptance of the addiction as something outside one’s control, surrender to a higher power, which includes accepting the support of others in recovery, and active participation in the process, including attending meetings and following the 12 steps.
- Incentive-based interventions as part of the therapeutic model reinforce positive behaviors in recovery with tangible rewards.
- Family therapy involves the client as well as at least one family member or significant other. Therapists engage families by using behavioral strategies and skills that will improve the home environment and enhance the accessibility of an understanding, close-knit support network.
- Biofeedback involves learning to control the body-mind connection to regulate things like heart rate, blood pressure, and respiration to mitigate cravings and avoid reactivity to triggers and stressors.
- EMDR (eye movement desensitization and reprocessing) therapy is used to treat addiction that co-occurs with trauma. Eye movement affects how the brain processes and stores information, so reprogramming eye movement can shift the brain’s response to past trauma.
Serenity Light Recovery offers these treatment options and more.
Serenity Light Recovery’s Part in Treating the Opioid Crisis in Texas
At Serenity Light Recovery, we are tremendously proud to be on the front lines of opioid treatment here in Texas. Our welcoming, serene setting is ideal for anyone on a path to sobriety. No matter where you are in your journey, we can help light your way.
Our inpatient and outpatient treatment centers offer the best possible care for you or your loved one. Compassionate support, evidence-based training, and individualized protocols are hallmarks of our programs. We offer faith-based options as well. Don’t wait. Reach out now by using our online form or calling 855.658.6109. We are ready to answer your questions and offer you solutions.