Though alcohol may be legal, it’s one of the most highly abused substances in the United States. And unfortunately, many people who abuse alcohol end up destroying their own lives, as well as the lives of those they love most. According to the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism, approximately 17 million adults over the age of 18 live with alcohol use disorder. Sadly, one out of 10 children lives in a home where at least one parent struggles with alcohol abuse. If you consume alcohol in excess and have wondered: “Why do I need alcohol abuse counseling?” you’ll find more information about the service below?
What Is Alcohol Abuse Counseling?
If you’re wondering: “Why do I need alcohol abuse counseling?” it’s helpful to know what the therapy can entail. According to experts on alcohol abuse, most people who regularly consume excessive alcohol can benefit from some form of counseling or treatment. That said, the specific form of therapy will vary depending on the individual in question.
During alcohol abuse counseling, you’ll meet with health professionals who’ll work to help you understand the behaviors that lead to your alcohol abuse. You may also receive medication-assisted treatment to help you reduce or eliminate your drinking problem. Addiction specialists who may be involved in your counseling include:
- A primary care specialist who can administer medication or refer you to a specialist, if necessary
- An alcohol counselor who will take you through behavioral treatments, develop a recovery plan, monitor your progress, and provide ongoing support
- A social worker who will help you address behavioral issues
- A psychiatrist who may prescribe medications and work with you on developing healthy new habits
- A psychological expert who can help you develop healthy coping strategies and a strong mental framework for overcoming your addiction
Signs That It May Be Time to Seek Help
If your alcohol intake is excessive and you’ve been asking yourself: “Why do I need alcohol abuse counseling?” there’s a strong likelihood that you’ve experienced many telltale symptoms and behaviors that indicate a need for professional alcohol addiction treatment. Some of the most common signs include:
- Experiencing cravings for alcohol
- Continuing to drink even though you know your habit harms you and your loved ones
- Engaging in irresponsible or dangerous behaviors when you’re under the influence of alcohol
- Experiencing declining interest or performance at work, school, or in your home life
- Experiencing withdrawal symptoms when you attempt to reduce or eliminate your alcohol consumption.
What Are Your Treatment Options at Serenity Light Recovery?
If you’ve been asking yourself: “Why do I need alcohol abuse counseling?” at Serenity Light Recovery, we’ll answer that question for you. Our team of addiction specialists, medical professionals, and therapy specialists work diligently to help you understand and overcome your substance abuse problem. Because addiction is a disease, it’s often very difficult to overcome with guidance and counseling from experienced professionals. And at our Angleton treatment center, we offer a variety of professionally supervised programs to meet your needs, including:
- Full medical detox treatment
- Intensive outpatient program
- 12-step therapy program
- Family therapy program
- Eye Movement Desensitization Reprocessing therapy
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy
- Biofeedback therapy program
- Yoga and fitness programs
Alcohol abuse doesn’t just destroy your life; it slowly destroys the lives of your friends and family, too. You owe it to yourself and your loved ones to seek out the treatment that you need. And when you experience a life free from alcohol addiction, you’ll realize your future is far brighter than you ever thought possible.
Are You Struggling With Alcohol Abuse? Find Freedom at Serenity Lake Recovery
If you or someone you love is living with alcohol abuse, please know that no one ever has to suffer in silence. Asking for the help you need is a courageous first step on your journey toward long-term health and happiness. You deserve to live a life you love, and at Serenity Light Recovery, we’re here to help you get there. At our Angleton treatment center, we strive to provide a wealth of resources to help you learn the skills you need to take back control of your life, and we’ll walk with you through every step of your recovery.
If you’re ready to reach out and take control of your health and happiness, don’t hesitate to give our team a call at 855.658.6109 to learn more about your treatment and counseling options.