At Serenity Light Recovery, our drug and alcohol detox programs cater to the specific needs of our clients. Clients undergo hourly monitoring by our 24 hour nursing staff.. A client’s time in the care center will depend on client’s medical necessity. Our experienced staff works with utilization reviews and insurance companies to advocate for our clients at all times. We pride ourselves on providing the detox Houston residents need to succeed.
Serenity Light Recovery’s on-site Physician, Psychiatrist and nurses work closely with our patients to determine the specific detox needs. Patient safety, physical health and mental wellbeing are our top priority. Our goal is not to replace one substance with another addictive substance, but to allow the brain and body to heal, maximizing the body’s ability to restore balance.
Why Do I Need Detox?
Detox is an essential first step in your journey to recovery. When you begin taking a drug or drinking alcohol, your brain essentially goes through a rewiring process. It gets used to the increase in chemicals that the drug causes. Before long, the brain thinks it needs the drug or alcohol to function correctly.
Therefore, when you stop taking the drug or drinking alcohol, your brain has forgotten how to work without the substance. It has to revert to its former position suddenly, which leads to withdrawal symptoms.
An easy way to picture this process is if you have a rubber band. Every time you take a drink or use the drug, you pull the rubber band back a little more. After a while, you’ve stretched the rubber band to its limit. At this point, if you suddenly let go of the rubber band with one hand, the other hand will get a nasty jolt as the rubber band snaps back to its original form.
Similarly, when you stop drinking or using drugs, your brain gets an unpleasant jolt, as it struggles to remember how to function without the substances. As a result, you get withdrawal symptoms. These can vary depending on the substance you’re using.
Some common withdrawal symptoms include:
- Depression or anxiety
- Muscle aches
Advantages of Medical Detox in Houston
When you seek out Houston detox, you should look for a detox center that offers medical detox. In a medical detox program, nurses and doctors provide you with constant supervision. They will give you medicine to treat your mental and physical symptoms.
One advantage of a medical detox program is that they give you the accountability you need. If you’ve ever tried to detox before, you may know that detox is significantly uncomfortable. When you’re in the throes of the withdrawal symptoms, you may not be able to resist temptation. When you’re in physical and mental pain, it can be hard to stay committed to your goal, especially when you know that you can stop it by taking a drink or using the drug. However, when you’re at a medical detox facility, you know that someone is monitoring you. In other words, someone is there to make sure that you don’t give in to temptation.
Another advantage of medical detox is that someone is there beside you. This fact seems rather obvious, but it can be encouraging to know that you’re not alone in the process. Additionally, you have someone to talk to during the withdrawal process, which takes your mind off of your symptoms.
You’ll also get a chance to engage in some therapy options we offer at Serenity Light, such as:
- Art therapy
- EMDR therapy
- Trauma therapy
- 12 step programs
- Biofeedback therapy
During these therapies, you have the opportunity to figure out what lies at the root of your addiction. Finding the root cause of your addiction, in turn, can help you build coping mechanisms so that you don’t fall back into substance abuse.
What Does the Timeline Look Like for Withdrawal?
While the symptoms and length of your withdrawal vary based on your addiction, there is a basic timeline that it follows. After the first few hours after your last dose, you begin feeling the withdrawal symptoms. These symptoms will get worse over the next few days. After they peak, then they will start to recede, and you will begin to feel more “normal.” Now, however, you are free from the addiction.
A variety of factors determine how severe your withdrawal symptoms are and how long they last. These include:
- How long you’ve used the drug or alcohol
- What type of substance you abused
- How you abused the drug ( smoking, injecting, snorting, or swallowing)
- How much you take each time
- Your family history and genetics
- Your mental and medical health factors
Detox Houston Needs
Our medical detox program was created by Serenity Light Recovery’s Executive Medical Director, Dr. H.M. Ogburn and ASAM physician, Dr. Tim Brennan. Every detail of this program has been developed to meet the clients specific needs. Clients seeking opioid detox services will have multiple options available to them during detox, including different opioid agonists-antagonists, which will be determined by our on-site physician. It is important to remember that withdrawal from alcohol and benzodiazepines can be especially dangerous possibly even deadly so detoxing under the care of a physician is required. Detoxification and withdrawal symptoms vary with each substance. Our professional care team eliminates the danger to our patients and others.
- Biosound and biofeedback sessions
- Massage therapy
- Creative Expressions Art class to focus on healing and stress management
- Daily access to specially designed detox process groups that are facilitated by trained clinicians, to give the client a healthy outlet while processing through withdrawal.
- Chemical dependence education classes with topics relating to detox needs: stages of withdrawal, relapse prevention, stress reduction, healthy boundaries, continuing care after detox, and building healthy support networks
- Memory foam mattresses to help alleviate additional discomforts of withdrawal
- TVs in all client care center rooms to distract from the urges and cravings to leave and use
- Consultation with a registered dietitian to establish a nutrition plan aimed at meeting each client’s unique needs during the withdrawal process
- Nutritionally balanced meals, designed specifically for our detox clients, by our renowned chef to help replenish essential vitamins and nutrients that were neglected, due to addiction
- Introduction to different types of recovery meetings will be accessible at the facility in the main building once the client has been medically cleared
- A recovery coach will be assigned to each client on day one of detox, and will aid in meeting the needs of the client throughout their treatment and follow-up for 1 year after
- Discharge and relapse prevention planning
- Individual and group yoga and guided meditation practice
- Fellowship nature walks
Drug and Alcohol Detox Programs with Serenity Light Recovery
Our drug, alcohol, and substance abuse detox program will work to prepare the client for their next phase of treatment. It is common for patients to enter treatment with the thought that “I just need to detox only and get back on track. I’ve done it before and it worked great.” The problem with this belief is that addiction, as well as problem drinking and using, is progressive. Here at Serenity Light Recovery, clients will have a team of experienced professionals who understand. During the patient’s stay, our clinicians will focus on developing a plan that addresses basic life needs, as well as recovery needs. This plan will work towards helping patient’s find and sustain balance.
To begin with the detox Houston needs, call Serenity Light Recovery today at 855.658.6109. Learn how our drug and alcohol detox programs can help you on your journey towards recovery.