In the United States, drug addiction is at epidemic levels. Approximately 70,000 Americans die every year from drug overdoses. Many of the drug overdoses are from prescription medications. People may start out with a prescription drug and use it properly, but in time they end up misusing it. You may wonder what the most abused prescription drugs are. This is an important question to examine. That way if you or someone you know is taking any of these medications, you can be cautious. If need be, you can seek treatment at a prescription drug detox center in Houston.
Most Abused Prescription Drugs
According to the National Institute on Drug Abuse, the following drugs fall within the given category and are the most commonly abused:
- Fentanyl (please note that this medication is also made in superlabs and sold on the street, as well. The street version, however, may be mixed with other unknown substances making them even more dangerous than the drug already is)
- Other opioid pain medications such as oxycodone and hydrocodone
- Barbiturates such as Phenobarbital
- Benzodiazepines such as Ativan and Valium
- Sleep medications such as Ambien
How Addiction Occurs
When people get a prescription, it’s usually not their intention to misuse the medication. Some people may get the drugs without a prescription, which would indicate misuse from the beginning. Others become dependent on the drugs, then addicted to them.
The cycle of addiction occurs over time as the person becomes tolerant of the medication’s effects and begins to take more. They may even start taking it to feel the euphoria. After a while, they notice withdrawal effects if they don’t have it for several hours. The withdrawal symptoms will vary based on what type of drug they were taking.
Find Peace Today
Welcome to Serenity Light Recovery where our caring and compassionate staff are ready to help you detox from prescription drug addiction. We are here to help you on your journey to a brighter future. At our lovely facility, you will find a serene atmosphere conducive to setting you on the path of hope.
We offer a broad range of programs for those with addiction issues. Some of these treatment programs include:
- Prescription Addiction Treatment Program
- Benzos Addiction Treatment Program
- Drug and Alcohol Addiction Treatment Program
- Opioid Addiction Treatment Program
- Meth Addiction Treatment Program
- Cocaine Addiction Treatment Program
Don’t let prescription drugs ruin your life or steal your happiness. Discover hope and start a new life today. Now that you know what the most abused prescription drugs are, seek treatment at an addiction rehab center. Contact us at 855.658.6109, and we’ll get you on the pathway to healing.